Clinical Professor of Law
Director, Sustainable Development Legal Initiative
UNIVERSITY OF MILAN, LL.B. 1993, Ph.D. International Environmental Law 1998
UNIVERSITY OF LONDON, LL.M. Public International Law 1995, School of Oriental and African Studies
- Director, Sustainable Development Legal Initiative (SDLI) (2007-Present)
- Director, International Law and Development in Africa Clinic (ILDA) (2008-Present)
- Faculty Director, Fordham-Ghana Summer Law Program (2009-Present)
- Fellow in International and European Environmental Law, British Institute of International and Comparative Law (2002-2006)
- International Marie Curie Fellow, Imperial College London (2004-2006)
- Visiting Scholar and Adjunct Professor of Law, Fordham University School of Law (2004-2005)
- Lecturer in Environmental Law, Imperial College London (2002-2004)
- Co-Director, Centre for Environmental Law, School of Law, University of Nottingham (2001-2002)
- Lecturer in Law, School of Law University of Nottingham (1999-2001)
- Visiting Professor in International Environmental Law, Faculty of Law, University of Verona (1998-1999)
- Visiting Fellow, Institute of International Law, University of Milan (1993-1999)
- The Year in Review: Reports from International Courts and Tribunals. The International Court of Justice, 22 2012 Yearbook of International Environmental Law (forthcoming, Oxford: 2013).
- Book Review, Journal of Human Rights and the Environment (reviewing Poverty Alleviation and Environmental Law (Edward Elgar: 2012).
- Missing in Action: Gender in International Environmental Law, in Powerful Synergies: Gender Equality, Economic Development and Environmental Sustainability (UNDP: 2012), with Alena Herklotz.
- Air, Atmosphere and Climate Change, in Routledge Handbook of International Environmental Law (Alam et al., eds., Routledge: 2012).
- International Environmental Law and Multinational Corporations, in La Responsabilita’ Sociale d’Impresa in Tema di Diritti Umani e Protezione dell’Ambiente (Cutillo et al., eds., Giuffre’, Milan, Italy: 2012).
- Early Skeptic, then Tepid Supporter and Leader of the “South”: Brazil’s Evolving Role in International Environmental Law & Sustainable Development, in Trinta Anos de Brasil: Dialogos Entre Direito E Economia (Thirty Years of Brazil: Dialogues Between Law and Economics, Maria Lucia Palma ed., 2012).
- The Year in Review: Reports from International Courts and Tribunals. The International Court of Justice, 22 2011 Yearbook of International Environmental Law (Oxford: 2012)
- THE FUTURE OF AFRICAN CUSTOMARY LAW, Cambridge University Press, 2011 [Co-Editor with Jeanmarie Fenrich and Tracy Higgins]
- Traditional Leadership and Governance in Modern Ghana: Lessons, Challenges, Problems and Opportunities in the Promotion of Economic and Social Development, in THE FUTURE OF AFRICAN CUSTOMARY LAW, Cambridge University Press, Jeanmarie Fenrich, Paolo Galizzi, and Tracy Higgins, eds., 2011 [with Ernest Abotsi]
- Environment and Development: Friends or Foes in the 21st Century, in Research Handbook in International Environmental Law, 2010 [with Alena Herklotz]
- International Law, Regulations and Environmental History, in Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems, 2010 [with Alena Herklotz]
- DOCUMENTS IN EUROPEAN COMMUNITY ENVIRONMENTAL LAW (2nd ed. 2006) [Co-editor with Philippe Sands]
- From Stockholm to New York, Via Rio and Johannesburg: Has the Environment Lost Its Way on the Global Agenda?, 29 FORDHAM INTERNATIONAL LAW JOURNAL 952 (2006).
- DOCUMENTS IN INTERNATIONAL ENVIRONMENTAL LAW (2nd ed. 2004) [Co-editor with Philippe Sands]
- The protection of the environment in international law: a global (universal) value or an ‘unethical’ imposition of a Northern agenda? in Atti Del Convegno Della Societa’ Italiana Di Diritto Internazionale/Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Italian Society for International Law 327 (2004).
- JURISDICTION AND THE ENFORCEMENT OF JUDGEMENTS IN CIVIL AND COMMERCIAL MATTERS (2003) [Editor of two volumes and one supplement].
- INTERNATIONAL ENVIRONMENTAL LAW IN NATIONAL COURTS (2002) [Co-editor with Michael Anderson).
- Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs) and Trade-Related Environmental Measures (TREMs): Lessons from the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) After the SD Myers Case? 10 ENVIRONMENTAL LIABILITY 217 (2002) [with Cameron Hutchison].
- The application of International Environmental Obligations in Italian Courts, in INTERNATIONAL ENVIRONMENTAL LAW IN NATIONAL COURTS 167 (Michael Anderson and Paolo Galizzi eds., 2002) [with C. Giorgetti].
- The Report of the WTO Appellate Body in the Asbestos Case, 9 ENVIRONMENTAL LIABILITY 238 (2001).
- The Report of the WTO Panel in the Case of the European Communities Measures Affecting Asbestos and Asbestos Containing Products, 8 ENVIRONMENTAL LIABILITY 183 (2000).
- Globalisation, Trade and the Environment: Broadening the Agenda After Seattle, 8 ENVIRONMENTAL LIABILITY 106 (2000).
- The 1968 Brussels Convention and Liability for Nuclear Damage/La Convention de Bruxelles de 1968 et la responsabilité pour les dommages nucléaires, 64 NUCLEAR LAW BULLETIN/DROIT NUCLÉAIRE 7 (1999) [with Philippe Sands].
- Questions of Jurisdiction in the Event of a Nuclear Accident in a Member State of the European Union, 8 JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL LAW 71 (1996)